Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight Review

 First, a word about the Twilight series.  Yes, it was written for teens.  No, you are not smarter after you read it.  Don't judge if you haven't read it (Ry, Em).  The author creates a heroine we can all relate to and a hero that everyone adores-- what's not to like?  Now this doesn't mean you have to name your children after Bella and Edward or scream hysterically when the movie begins, but its okay to be entertained.  So there.

So, now about the movie.  It kinda sucked.  First off, I did my homework.  Since this was the first movie I was going to see in the movie theater in OVER A YEAR, I had to research.  I watched an interview with the two main stars.  They took themselves WAY to seriously.  The girl that plays Bella said she could put up with the fame to get other projects that she really wanted to do funded.  Don't bite the hand that feeds you, babe.  The boy that plays Edward was just strange, he didn't make a lot of sense, like he was trying to sound too smart, too "deep".  So after that, I thought that they must just be really great actors... wrong. 

 The special effects were horrible.  I could probably have forgiven this if everything else was okay, but it wasn't.  I'm sure its really hard to pick and choose what to take from the book, but that's no excuse, the screenwriters get paid way too much.  It was choppy and poorly delivered, lots of staring at each other and cheesy lines.  Instead of liking and relating to Bella, I just thought she was a snobby teenager.  For the amount of hype this movie created, it should have been in the same level of movie making talent as other book-turned-movie blockbusters.  That's all.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

You lost me at twilight... Sorry Jame. I don't get the harry potter thing either.

Unknown said...

oh geeze, oh geeze, oh geeze, come on now, follow the spirit and make a decent movie. someone forgot to pray before making that film...i blame napoleon dynamite for giving BYU students a distorted view of acting.